Why timber floors are better than tiles.July 11, 2018
Whether you have just bought a house or you have lived in your home for years and decide now is a good time to renovate – at some point you’ll need to decide what type of flooring is best for you. Of course some factors to take into consideration – apart from your budget are – how easy do you want the installation to be? Is there a look and feel you are going for? Are there any allergies you want to overcome? How easy do you want your floor to be to take care of?
There are so many types of flooring to consider including tiles, slate, sandstone, carpet, vinyl and timber floors. Floating timber floors have come a long way in the past few years and that is what makes this a versatile product.
Why should you use floating timber floors over tiles?
- Timber floors add an instant warmth and beauty to your home, you add value as soon as the floor is put down. The initial cost of a new timber floor is more than recouped as your timber floor will literally last you a lifetime. Timber floors will gradually *age* in a way that is beautiful – it will keep its warmth and colour for decades.
- Timber floors are so easy to clean and as the timber hardens over time it will become more resilient to the dangers of dirt and grime. Any spills can be wiped away which cuts down the time you spend cleaning your floor. Unlike carpet, timber flooring doesn’t attract dust mites which makes timber flooring one of the cleanest flooring options.
- For anyone suffering from asthma timber flooring provides an allergy free environment. House dust can be easily removed from a timber floor just by vacuuming.
- Tile floors can be very stark and plain, they lack the character and feel of timber.
- Tile floors can be very cold in winter.
- Tiles floors can be very slippery when wet.
- If your wooden floor over time has been scratched or damaged, a light sand and seal will bring it back to new again.
- It can be difficult to replace a chipped or cracked tile – especially if the colour or design has been discontinued.
- Timber floors have been around for decades and they never go out of fashion. Tile patterns and colours can easily *date*
- Tile flooring, while as easy to clean and maintain as a floating timber floor just doesn’t have the same, look, feel and warmth that timber flooring does.
- Tile flooring can have a look and feel of a hospital waiting room or operating theatre – clean and stark
- Timber floors last for decades and won’t chip or crack which is important of you have children.
- Timber floors are safer for babies to crawl around on, they aren’t as cold and are softer on baby’s hands and knees.