A Starter’s Guide To Whey

A Starter’s Guide To Whey

May 17, 2018 0 By Abbey Morris

Protein is a big part of any workout regime. However, to absorb the amount of protein required, you’d have to consume an untenable amount of food. For the average person, recommended protein intake is about 50g a day. A man leading a sedentary lifestyle should consume about 56g, while a woman is okay with 46g.

Body builders and active gym users might need double that amount, and if you’re consciously trying to lose weight, your needs are closer to 150g a day. The reasons protein is helpful for weight loss are manifold. Protein takes longer to digest than other food groups, so you’ll stay fuller for longer, and as a result, eat less food, and consume fewer calories, which helps your overall weight loss efforts.

To consume 150g of protein, you would need about 15 cups of cooked beans, or half a kilo of cooked beef. That’s a lot of food to consume, and if you’re trying to bulk up, the volumes aren’t calorie dense. When you’re trying to eat more than 3,000 calories a day, it’s easier to absorb them in powder form than to literally eat like a pig.

This is what makes protein shakes and smoothies such a staple of weight loss and bulk-building diets. A single scoop of protein powder can give you almost 30g of protein, and if you mix in yogurt, a blended fruit drink, or even cold water, you can reach your daily target without eating yourself sick.  Now you just need to find the right kind of powder.

 

Whey Protein

Whey Protein

 

Why Whey?

Milk is used to generate a lot of dairy products, like cream, yoghurt, buttermilk, cheese, ghee, and whey. Whey is harvested during the cheese-making process. It doesn’t taste very good in its natural form, so for a long time, it was considered a waste product and thrown away. Cheese is made by curdling milk with acid. In the process, the fatty solids separate, leaving a yellowy liquid.That liquid is whey.

It’s also the stuff you sometimes see floating at the top of a yoghurt tub when you open it. Whey is the main protein in milk (20% is casein and the other 80% is whey). Whey is generally flavoured to make it more palatable, and can be sold as isolate, concentrate, or hydrolysate.The cheapest and most common form is concentrate.

Concentrate tastes better than the other types, because it has some fat and lactose, but it only has protein volumes of 70% to 80%. Isolate is more expensive, has a higher protein quotient (90%), but tastes bland because the most of the fat and protein has been extracted, as well as most of its nutritional value.

 

Guide To Whey

Guide To Whey

 

Pre-Digested Protein For Better Results

Hydrolysate is hydrolysed whey, which means it’s partially digested before it reaches you. That probably sounds gross, but it helps your body absorb it better, and it has a more direct effect on your body’s insulin levels. Hydrolysate spikes your insulin 28% to 43% more than other forms of whey. Whey helps you to lose fat, build muscle, and increase your strength.

It’s also helpful as a mood booster, so it helps depressive patients. It improves blood pressure and blood sugar, and some studies show it has a positive effect on cancer and HIV patients. 60% of breast milk is whey, and it helps build the baby’s organs, skin, bones, tendons, neurotransmitters, hormones, and molecules.

You may have read that there are 22 amino acids in existence, and these amino acids are used to create muscle. Our bodies manufacture some, but we have to eat others – which are described as essential because we need them to grow. Different foods contain different amino acid combinations, and the ones that contain all the essential amino acids are considered power proteins. Whey is one of them.

Whey More Benefits

Essential amino acids include leucine for growth and cysteine for anti-oxidant promotion. Whey is rich in both. It also absorbs faster and more easily than other types of protein, so it gives better results. As a powder mixed into water or a smoothie, it hits the bloodstream instantly, which speeds up its absorption even faster.

Of course not all whey products are equal. One of the most popular products on the market is Gold Standard Whey. It’s positioned as a 100% whey product, and it contains a blend of isolate, concentrate, and peptides, with 24g of protein per scoop. It can be used pre-workout to provide energy, reduce fatigue, and help recovery. Be careful if you have anti-lactose issues though, because whey powder can easily trigger milk allergies.

 

Please follow and like us: